Congratulations on bringing home the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System, a stunning achievement in speaker versatility, connectivity and most importantly, sound quality. We know you are eager to start playing with your new Prime Wireless Speaker System, so this manual will walk you through speaker set-up, downloading the DTS Play-Fi app and everything you need to know to get the most out of the Prime Wireless experience. Our SVS Sound Experts are also available seven days a week to take the guess work out of anything. They are equipped to handle even the most complicated questions about connectivity, control, adjusting settings and optimizing sound quality.
One of the key features of the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System is DTS Play-Fi mobile app, which enables WiFi connectivity with your home network and provides smartphone or tablet control that unlocks direct streaming from Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, Amazon Music and many more popular services, multi-room audio playback, voice control via Amazon Alexa and much more. You’ll want to download this before doing anything else, so just visit the Apple® App® Store or Google Play™ Store and search “DTS Play-Fi” to get started.
If you have any questions about your new SVS Prime Wireless Speaker system, please contact us directly.
www.svsound.com • firstname.lastname@example.org • (877) 626-5623
What's in the Box
1 Prime Wireless Active Speaker
1 Prime Wireless Passive Speaker
AC Power Cord
2 Premium Cloth Speaker Grille Covers
8 Elastomer Stick-on Bumper Feet
10’ Active-Passive Speaker Interconnect Cable
Wifi Network Requirements
You must have the following to connect your Prime Wireless product to your network:
- A high-speed DSL/Cable modem or a fiber-to-the-home broadband connection for reliable playback of music services via the internet.
- Note: Satellite internet services are prone to playback issues due to fluctuating download rates.
- If your modem is not a modem/router combination you must purchase and install a router into your home network before proceeding.
- If you plan to use the DTS Play-Fi® App on an Android or iOS device or you are setting up a Prime Wireless product for Wi-Fi streaming, you will need a wireless router.
- Have your network password ready before connecting the SVS Prime Wireless Speaker System to your network.
- To get the most out of your new SVS Prime Wireless Speakers System’s dual-band WiFi, you’ll need a router with 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz WiFi connectivity and a connected mobile device.
- Play-Fi is compatible with all routers that are Wi-Fi certified and meet Wi-Fi standards. Uncertified routers may cause problems for your Play-Fi products.
Recommended Router Specifications
While all certified routers should work, for the optimal Play-Fi streaming experience, we recommend using a router that is rated at least “N600”. This designation means the router supports 802.11n dual band with a speed of 300Mbps on each band. You’ll see the rating “N600” in the router name, or on the front of the box.
These are the detailed N600 specifications you should look for:
- WAN x 1, LAN x 4 RJ-45 for 10/100/1000 Base T
- 2 x antenna for 2.4 GHz with 3.8dBi gain
- 3 x antenna for 5 GHz with 5.1dBi gain
- 8 MB flash and 128 MB RAM
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- 802.11n: up to 300Mbps
Please note that these are recommendations and not requirements. Play-Fi does work with routers with lower performance specifications, and the experience may be acceptable or good. However, using a router with these performance levels will dramatically reduce the chances that your network set up will interfere with the enjoyment of your Play-Fi products.
Unpacking and Preparing Your Prime Wireless Speakers
- Locate elastomer feet in the packaging and attach 4 to the bottom of each speaker to protect surfaces and speaker from potential scratching.
- Remove plastic film from front panel display by gently peeling off from the corner.
- Locate the power cord and the interconnect cable for later use.
- Protective grille covers come attached via pin/cup retention system. Speakers can also be used without grille covers depending on your aesthetic preference, just avoid making any contact with the exposed drivers.
Front Panel Controls
Source & Preset Control
Rotate the left knob to change the input. Press the knob to select a preset (after they are programmed).
Front Panel Display
LED backlighting indicates the selected audio source (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Optical or Auxiliary) and preset (1-6). Wi-Fi indicator will turn green when streaming Spotify
Play, Pause & Volume
Rotate the right knob to adjust volume. Press the knob to pause/un-pause.
Rear Panel Connections & Controls
- Sub Out
Add a subwoofer using standard audio interconnect cable (not included) or the optional SVS SoundPath Wireless Kit.
- L/R AUX RCA In
Connect any stereo source that has a left and right stereo analog output.
- 3.5mm AUX In
Connect to headphone outputs of smartphones, tablets or other audio devices. Note that 3.5MM inout will override L/R AUX RCA inputs if both are uses simultaneously.
- Out to Left Speaker
Connects your active Prime Wireless speaker to the passive speaker using supplied speaker interconnect cable.
- Optical In
Connect sources with optical digital outputs such as a TV or game console.
- Wi-Fi Setup
Enables Wi-Fi set-up mode and shows status of wireless connection. Blinking yellow light indicates set-up mode, solid light means it’s set-up and ready to use.
- In/Out Network
Connect standard Ethernet cable for hard-wired Internet connection.
Toggles between Mono mode for a single Prime Wireless powered speaker or Stereo mode for active and passive Prime Wireless speaker pair.
- Service USB
For ﬁrmware updates and charging, or powering USB devices like a SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter to make your subwoofer fully wireless.
- Bluetooth Setup
Enables Bluetooth pairing mode and shows status of Bluetooth connection. Blinking blue light indicates pairing mode, solid light means it’s connected and ready to use.
- AC Power Cord Input
Placing and Connecting Your Speakers
- The active speaker with front and rear controls will always be the right speaker and the passive speaker with no controls is the left speaker.
- Set switch on rear panel to “Stereo”.
- Position speakers as you want them in your room.
- Plug supplied interconnect cable into “Out to Left Speaker” on the rear panel of the right speaker. Plug other end of the cable into corresponding input on left speaker.
- Plug power cord into appropriate terminal on the rear of the active speaker and continue to “Setting Up Wi-Fi and the DTS Play-Fi App” section to set up and name your speakers.
Setting Up Wifi And The DTS Play-fi App
The DTS Play-Fi app offers a rich feature set that unlocks the full potential of your Prime Wireless Speaker System with smart, wireless speaker capabilities not available from any other wireless audio products. Downloading the app is an important first step towards getting the most out of your new speakers.
- Download the Play-Fi App
- Search “Play-Fi” in the Apple App Store, Amazon App Marketplace, or Google Play Store and download the free DTS Play-Fi app to start unlocking the full potential of your new speakers.
- WiFi Set-up Mode
- Once powered on for the first time, the speaker will automatically go into Wi-Fi setup mode, indicated by a rapidly blinking yellow light on the rear panel of the speaker. When the blinking light slows down to a slow pulse, the speaker is ready to connect. Wi-Fi connection will be conﬁrmed when yellow light remains on permanently.
- Connect Speaker to WiFi Network
- iOS users must go to the “Settings” -> “WiFi” on their mobile device and select the “PlayFiDevice…” like you would a normal Wi-Fi network then open the Play-FI app to continue
- Android users just need to open and run the Play-Fi app
- Configure Play-Fi App
- Open the Play-Fi app and follow the prompts to ﬁnish setting up your Prime Wireless Speaker System on your home Wi-Fi network
- From here, the app will find your new speakers and connect them to the Wi-Fi network for you.
- You will type in your network password once, and the app will do the rest.
- During installation, the app will look for and install any updates for the Play-Fi products. These product updates add 3-5 minutes to the installation time.
- Once network set up and speaker updates are completed, you can select a name for your new speaker(s) and start enjoying the music.
Having Trouble Connecting?
The speakers may require an update before letting you stream music. The Play-Fi app will show a notiﬁcation and complete the update automatically. This is completely normal and can take 3-5 minutes.
If your SVS Prime Wireless speaker is not being discovered by the WiFi network, try moving it closer to your router or to a stronger signal area to establish a connection. Also, make sure the speaker and app are both conﬁgured to the same WiFi network in your home.
Speakers not going into setup mode?
Standard Set-Up Mode: To put the device into Standard Set-Up Mode, hold the Wi-Fi button down for 8 seconds. You will hear a tone at 4 seconds, but do not release the button until after you hear the same tone again after the full 8 seconds. The product will now be in Standard Set-Up Mode, and the Wi-Fi light will slowly pulse on and off.
WPS Mode: To put the device into WPS Mode, hold the Wi-Fi button down for 4 seconds. At 4 seconds you will hear a tone and the Wi-Fi light will begin to blink a pattern of two times on and then a pause and then repeat. It is now ready for WPS pairing.
Audio Streaming Guide
Connect. Select. Play.
Once your speakers are set up, you can access music from your smartphone, tablet and mobile devices and stream your favorite music services directly via your home’s WiFi network. You can also enjoy ultra high-resolution Critical Listening Mode, create a multi-room audio system and enjoy all the benefits of the DTS Play-Fi app.
Setting Up Custom Presets
A unique feature of the Prime Wireless Speakers system, the six custom presets give you instant access via WiFi to your favorite music service playlists, Internet Radio stations and streaming music services that exist within the DTS Play-Fi app without needing a phone or tablet. You can simply walk up to your speaker, push the knob to start a preset and your favorite music will start playing.
- From the Play-Fi app, start the streaming service you want to program as a preset.
- Firmly press the left control knob to select which preset you want to program (1-6). Each time you press the knob, it will move to the next preset.
- When desired preset number is selected, press and hold the preset knob for three seconds. The preset number will blink several times then remain solid to indicate the preset has been programmed, and music will resume playing.
- Follow instructions above for the remaining ﬁve presets.
- NOTE: It takes a few seconds for the preset to connect to music services from your WiFi network. The preset number will flash while it establishes a connection and remain highlighted once connected. This delay is completely normal.
- You can now access your favorite content by firmly pressing and releasing the left knob to toggle through your presets at any time.
- To re-program a preset, simply repeat steps 1 – 5.
- NOTE: When setting up Pandora or Spotify as Presets, the app may ask you to sign into your account to verify.
Enabling Critical Listening Mode
Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high-resolution files up to 24-bit/192KHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment.
- When you start the Play-Fi app, before selecting your speakers, tap the Hi-Res button in the top bar of the zone module.
- The Hi-Res logo will turn gold, the app will display CRITICAL LISTNEING MODE, and the list will only display the products that are compatible with this mode
- Select the speakers you want to stream to (only one can be selected), and then play from your desired source for the truest audio reproduction possible over Wi-Fi.
Using Spotify Connect
Spotify works differently from the other streaming services. Instead of Spotify living in the Play-Fi app, the Play-Fi product itself communicates directly with Spotify.
To use Spotify Connect you must have a Spotify Premium account.
- Open up your Spotify app and sign in, start playing something, and then, on the Now Playing screen, press the Spotify Connect button, which we’ve circled below:
You'll then be able to see all the Spotify enabled devices on the network, including your Prime Wireless Speakers that have been configured as Spotify Groups, or just individuals. The selected products are now tied to your Spotify Premium account, and as long as the product can communicate with the Internet, you can play to it from your Spotify app.
Streaming Spotify In Multiple Rooms
- You must first create a Spotify Group within the Play-Fi app.
- Spotify Groups are different from normal Play-Fi groups in that they specifically group speakers together for viewing within the Spotify app.
- This is so that normal grouping and zoning functions remain modular within the Play-Fi streaming system.
From the Play-Fi Control screen of the Play-Fi app (left), tap the Settings button to open the pop-up menu, and select Spotify Groups, which we’ve circled here. This option allows you to edit or create Spotify Groups.
After you've elected to create a new group and given it a name (we called ours "Downstairs" in the example) you can then pick from any of your Prime Wireless products to be added to this group (right). Any speakers that can't be joined in a Spotify Group will be greyed out. Once you’re done, head to the Spotify app to start streaming.
If you want to control the volume of individual products within the Spotify Group after you’ve started your stream, head back to the Play-Fi app, and your Spotify Group will automatically populate a module on the Play-Fi Control screen.
Play-Fi supports streaming different audio to different rooms or zones, directly from the Play-Fi app. So, for example, you can send Pandora downstairs for a dinner party, and keep Radio Disney playing upstairs for the kids.
- To set up a new zone, open up the Play-Fi Control screen by pressing the Play-Fi button in the app.
- You will see the currently playing products and what they are playing in a Zone module.
- To add another Zone, simply press the Plus (+) icon in the top right of the screen.
- A new Zone module will be created allowing you to pick your speakers, and then you can select your music source.
- Once configured, you can press the Play-Fi button to return to the Play-Fi Control screen, where you can easily manage each Zone.
- You can have up to four zones at once, and each zone can include up to 16 speakers.
- Note that each zone does have to play from a different music source or server
Streaming A “line-in” Audio Input
Prime Wireless products have the capability to capture audio from one of their on-board audio inputs and then redistribute it through a Play-Fi group. This is called Line-In Streaming, and speakers paired together streaming from Line-In are called a Line-In Zone.
- To initiate a Line-In Zone, simply tap on the Add Zone button—which is the little + icon at the top of the main Play-Fi Control screen—then select the Line-In option.
- The Line-In screen will display and list the products you can pick to lead the zone.
- After selecting the product, if it has more than one audio input, you'll be able to select which one you'd like as the source.
- You can also select between the content type, which includes a Music mode that uses DTS Play-Fi's lossless streaming method with a buffer to maintain audio playback integrity, and a TV Audio mode which removes the buffer and makes use of premium DTS codecs to transport across the network at high speeds to maintain synchronicity with the source content.
- Lastly, you'll be able to select the additional Play-Fi products to join to the Line-In Zone.
- The app automatically remembers your last configuration, so that you can start streaming quickly the next time.
Once you're ready to go, just tap the Start button, and the app will send all the information over to the host product so that it can configure the zone. Now that everything is up and running, you can close the app or leave the network, and the Line-In Zone will continue to run so long as there is content being played on its input.
Setting Up Bluetooth
Establishing a Bluetooth connection allows you to wirelessly stream to your Prime Wireless Speaker System from any smartphone, tablet or Bluetooth enabled device at the highest resolution possible.
- Press the Bluetooth Setup button on rear panel of active speaker once to activate Bluetooth pairing. This is indicated when the blue LED on the rear panel goes from slow to a rapid blinking.
- Select Bluetooth as your source by rotating the left knob until the Bluetooth logo on the front panel display is highlighted.
- View Bluetooth settings on your smartphone or mobile device and connect to “SVS SPEAKER...”
- Conﬁrm pairing when the light stops blinking and remains on.
- You can now stream music services and audio content directly from your handheld device any time you select Bluetooth as your source.
Connecting Devices Via Aux And Optical Inputs
Your Prime Wireless Speaker System is equipped with multiple input connections that allow it to provide audio playback for a wide array of devices, including: computers, TVs, AV receivers, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, handheld devices, turntables with phono preamps and more. Connecting these devices to your speakers is as simple as plug-and-play.
- Ensure the device you want to connect has the appropriate AUX or optical output.
- Check to see that you have the proper optical, stereo RCA or 3.5mm RCA cable (not included) for connecting your device and the speaker system.
- Connect your device to the Optical input, L/R AUX stereo inputs or the 3.5mm AUX input on your Prime Wireless Speaker System.
- Select the input by rotating the left control knob. The source will be displayed on the front panel with backlighting.
- Select “OPT” for audio playback of devices connected to the Optical input.
- Selecting “AUX” will allow you to access both the stereo L/R inputs or the 3.5mm line level input.
- NOTE: If devices are connected to both the 3.5mm AUX inputs and the L/R RCA AUX inputs, the 3.5MM input will override the L/R AUX inputs.
- Operate device as normal.
- Volume can be controlled from the right-hand control knob of the speaker or from the Play-Fi app.
- Simply open the app and the default screen will show a scrolling volume control bar for whatever input you have selected and it will automatically switch as you toggle between the different inputs, Bluetooth and WiFi sources.
Connecting A Subwoofer
For deeper and more powerful bass, a subwoofer output allows you to directly connect a subwoofer from SVS or any other brand.
- Locate the “LFE” input on your subwoofer and connect a standard RCA Audio interconnect cable.
- Connect opposite end of cable to the “SUB In” input on your speaker.
- An active High Pass Filter is automatically set at 80Hz when the subwoofer is detected.
- Set the Low Pass Filter on the subwoofer to 80Hz.
- Adjust the gain (volume) on the subwoofer to blend based on your personal preferences.
Setting Up And Using Amazon Alexa Voice Control
Voice control of music from any Amazon Alexa Device on your WiFi network is as simple as, “Alexa, play reggae in the living room,” and you can adjust volume, skip track forward, mute, pause and stop the music. Set-up requires just a few simple steps.
Prime Wireless Speakers do not have built in microphones. You'll need an Echo, Dot, or similar product to communicate voice commands to your system and to "Discover Devices" so that your Prime Wireless Speakers can be identified.
Once you’ve joined your Prime Wireless product to the network using the Play-Fi app, the app should automatically prompt you to link it to your Amazon account, as below. If you don’t see the prompt, or are linking your Amazon account after the fact, you can get to the below screen by going into Settings in the Play-Fi app and selecting the Amazon Alexa option.
Depending on your location, you may be prompted to select your default language for Alexa. Once ready to proceed, Alexa will prompt you for your Amazon account, but if you’ve already used an Amazon sign-on or authentication on your device before, it should automatically apply the credentials for you.
Setting Up Your Speakers With Amazon Alexa
- Make sure your Amazon Alexa device (Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Echo Plus) is powered on and connected to your home WiFi network.
- Download the Amazon Alexa App if you haven’t already.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and search for, then install the “Play-Fi” skill.
- Open the Play-Fi app, go to “Settings”. Find “Amazon Alexa” and follow prompts to sign in and verify your Amazon account.
- Go back to Amazon Alexa App and access the “Smart Home” section. Tap on “Add Device” and select your Echo device from the list of options.
- Choose the specific Amazon Alexa device you will be connecting.
- Select language for your Echo if prompted.
- Follow prompts to get Alexa device connected to WiFi and synched up with the Prime Wireless Speaker System.
- Press done to exit the setup process and use your system.
Controlling Your Speakers With Amazon Alexa Voice Commands
Below is a simple list of commands you can use with your speakers. Keep in mind, these commands are simplified, but Alexa will understand and interpret some natural language, so saying “Stream” instead of “Play”, or “on” instead of “in” is also acceptable.
Initiating Streams (example: Alexa play Reggae in the Living Room)
- Alexa Play [Artist] in [Zone]
- Alexa Play [Album] in [Zone]
- Alexa Play [Song] in [Zone]
- Alexa Play [Station] in [Zone]
- Alexa Play [Podcast] in [Zone]
- Alexa Play [Song] from [Album] by [Artist] on [Music Service] in [Zone] or less specific variations of this and everything in-between
Controlling Streams (Alexa or DTS Play-Fi)
- Alexa Next or Next Track
- Alexa Previous or Previous Track
- Alexa Pause or Stop or other variations
- Alexa Play or Resume
- Alexa Set Volume to [1 through 10] in [Zone]
- Alexa Louder in [Zone]
- Alexa Quieter in [Zone]
- Alexa Mute in [Zone]
- Alexa Unmute in [Zone]
Special Streaming Service Functions (depending on service and stream type)
- Alexa Loop
- Alexa Shuffle
- Alexa Like this
- Alexa Unlike this
- Alexa Skip Forward 30 Seconds
- Alexa Skip Backward 30 Seconds
Rebooting Your System
- Simply unplug the speakers for 10 seconds and the plug them back in
- The system will reboot and all previous settings will still be there
Initiating A Factory Reset
There are a few reasons why you might need to restore your Prime Wireless Speakers System to its original factory settings, including: pairing with a new router, changing the assigned WiFi network, clearing out all the presets, or clearing out all connected Bluetooth devices.
NOTE: ALL SAVED SETTINGS WILL BE LOST.
To initiate a factory reset:
- Press and Hold both the WiFi and Bluetooth pairing buttons on the rear panel, as well as the PlayPause knob on the front panel until you hear a series of two audible beeps.
- The reset will begin after the second audible beep.
- NOTE: ALL SAVED SETTINGS WILL BE LOST
Caring For Your Prime Wireless Speaker System
Your Prime Speakers may be gently cleaned as follows:
- Use a dry microﬁber duster to remove any loose surface dust.
- Use a water-damp, lint-free microﬁber cloth to remove ﬁngerprints, smudges and other contaminants. Wipe in one direction only.
- Follow any damp cleaning immediately with a dry microﬁber cloth. Again dry wipe in one direction only.
Most modern routers are already set up to work really well with streaming products like Play-Fi, but even with current routers, there are some things you can check to make sure you get the best possible Play-Fi experience before setting up your speakers.
- Select the best Wi-Fi channel for your network.
- Enable Quality of Service (QoS) features like Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WMM)
- If using advanced DHCP assignments or port-forwarding, allow exceptions for Play-Fi
- Double-check to be sure your router is assigning network access and that UPnP and DHCP are enabled.
For more information on Play-Fi and wireless troubleshooting visit play-fi.com
2-year Unconditional Warranty
SVS offers the industry's most comprehensive warranty on all our products. SVS warrants the Prime Wireless Speaker System to be free from defects in the workmanship for 2 years from date of purchase. This, and all of the SVS customer Bill of Rights can be viewed online at www.svsound.com/pages/bill-of-rights .
- For DTS patents, see http://patents.dts.com. Manufactured under license from DTS, Inc. DTS, Play-Fi, the Symbol, and Play-Fi together in combination with the Symbol are trademarks of DTS, Inc. DTS and Play-Fi are registered trademarks of DTS, Inc. © DTS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
- The Spotify software is subject to third party licenses found here: www.spotify.com/connect/third-party-licenses
- Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
- Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- all the FCC and IC stuff for streaming and wireless