Prime Bookshelf Speaker
High-end in every way but price, the SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers deliver amazingly refined sound quality and stunning dynamics as fronts, surrounds, center channel or other loudspeakers in a 2-channel audiophile or home theater surround sound system.Read More
45 Day Risk-Free In-Home Trial. Fast & Free Shipping and Returns.
5-Year Unconditional Warranty
Prime Bookshelf Speaker
The Prime Bookshelf speakers are sonic overachievers on all levels. Stunningly dynamic, pinpoint accurate and utterly transparent, they deftly serve as reference monitor loudspeakers in a two-channel system, or as high performance front, center, or side/rear surround speakers in a multi-channel home theater.
Borrowing engineering and design cues from the acclaimed Ultra Series and embodying all the traits of a truly high-end speaker, the Prime Bookshelf speakers convey accurate spatial imaging, throw an expansive soundstage and deliver uncompromising fidelity throughout the frequency spectrum. The effortless low frequency extension, commanding but detailed midrange and airy, unveiled highs far exceed expectations of other speakers in its class. Even the cabinet geometry and internal bracing are optimized for uncompromised audio playback and complemented by stunning piano gloss and black ash finishes.
- Tweeter | 1"
- Midrange | N/A
- Woofer | 6.5"
- Freq. Response | 48 Hz-25 kHz (±3 dB)
- Port size & # | 1.7"
- Dimension | 13.2” (H) 8” (W) 9.4” (D)
- Weight | 15.5 lb
Standing out among the crowd of bookshelf speakers is no easy task, yet the Prime Bookshelf defies convention to outperform reference monitors costing twice as much or more. Every aspect of the Prime Bookshelf speaker was designed for sonic excellence. From the premium grade driver and sophisticated SoundMatch crossover to the extra-thick baffle, internal bracing, and FEA optimized tweeter diffuser, the Prime Bookshelf speaker’s design and engineering credentials put it in the realm of much costlier, and much larger speakers.
Prime Driver & Tweeter Design
Thoughtfully designed for acoustic excellence, the Prime Bookshelf speaker’s 6.5-inch woofer is mounted in its own dedicated and completely sealed compartment to ensure smooth, precise and clear midrange and bass output that’s free from coloration. The cone material is extremely light and rigid and maintains a flat frequency response with excellent handling across the foundational mid-range frequencies. Low frequency extension is shockingly deep and effortless considering the cabinet size and the Prime Bookshelf speaker can hit reference volume with amazing clarity, no distortion and headroom to spare.
The Prime Bookshelf speaker’s 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter is light, efficient, and rigid, and plays crystal clear at high volumes. The clarity offers a sense of utter transparency, while offering an ‘airy’ presentation and incredibly unveiled highs so female vocals and dialogue and high pitched sound effects and musical content always sound crisp, smooth and natural.
Innovative SoundMatch Crossover Design
Since premium drivers require an equally capable crossover, no expense was spared with the innovative SVS SoundMatch 2-way crossover. Its tapered array is designed to minimize the potential for beaming. This creates an expansive, yet focused and precise soundstage, with accurate frequency response at all listening positions in the room. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures pinpoint accuracy of highs, mids, and lows, while maintaining pristine signal purity.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design and Geometry
Tapered edges on the Prime Bookshelf speaker’s front baffle, known as chamfers, minimize edge diffraction for clear and precise soundstaging. The cabinet’s presence offers a modern industrial feel with acoustic enhancements like shorting rings and a tweeter diffuser which add performance-driven style. All advancements are packed into a compact but attractive cabinet, that’s easily mountable anywhere, and available in stunning piano gloss black or premium black ash finish.
SVS Speaker Design Philosophy
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- Rated bandwidth: 48 Hz-25 kHz (±3 dB)
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
- Sensitivity: 87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz)
- Recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts.
- Bookshelf Loudspeaker
- Black ash and piano gloss black finish options
- 5-way binding posts
- 1.7” wide-flared rear-firing port
- Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system
- Elastomer stick-on bumper feet (adds 3mm to height)
- Cabinet Dimensions: 13.2" (H) X 8" (W) X 9.7" (D)
- Overall Dimensions: 13.3" (H) X 8" (W) X 10.3" (D) (includes grille and bumper feet)
- Shipped Dimensions-2 Pack: 17.6" (H) X 22.4" (W) X 14.4” (D)
- Weight: 15.5 pounds
- Shipped Weight-2 Pack: 34.7 pounds
1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter:
- FEA-optimized diffuser for airy and unveiled presentation
- Aluminum dome for exceptional transient response
- Long stroke motor and suspension for high output
- Polypropylene cone for excellent stiffness/mass ratio and pistonic behavior
- Aluminum shorting ring to reduce gap inductance, lower distortion, and enhance high frequency response
- Cast ABS-fiberglass composite basket ensures precision component alignment and excellent thermal transfer
- Vented voice coil former minimizes air compression artifacts
Crossover & Cabinet Specs:
- 2-way crossover with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors and heavy-trace printed circuit boards
- Crossover network delivers outstanding phase coherency and time domain behavior
- Tweeter-to-woofer crossover: 2.3 kHz (12 dB/octave slopes)
- Acoustically transparent and FEA optimized grilles minimize diffraction
- FEA-optimized cabinet and bracing eliminates resonances
- Chamfered front baffle and flush-mounted drivers reduce edge diffraction and improved on-axis high frequency response
"A marvel of sound design. These loudspeakers uncoil the sound, and reach well above their price point dynamically. Easy recommendations for the aspiring but sensible home theater speaker enthusiast." Read the full review
High Def Digest Reviews the Prime Bookshelf and Prime Center Loudspeakers
"SVS has come up with a winner here. In a world of rising costs, it is heartening to know that there is still great value available." Read the full review
Audiofi.net - J LOH Reviews the Prime Bookshelf
"SVS may have done too good a job with the Primes… These speakers have a presence about them both visually and sonically that stops you in your tracks… For $249 each, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better sounding set of bookshelf speakers." Read the full review
The Prime Bookshelf Reviewed by AVTechReviews
"Thanks to SVS, gone are the days where you need to have a six figure audio system to be the envy of your friends and neighbors… a real price-performance achievement." Read the full review
The Poor Audiophile Reviews the Prime Bookshelf
"… have a surprisingly big sound… flawless in its performance…get a audiophile grade home theater system at a fraction of the cost." Read the full review
AVTechReviews - Chris Murray Reviews the Prime Series Speakers
"The Prime Center is a three-way design. I was happy to hear that SVS went with this design choice as it addresses the off-axis issues that are common to the two-way design short-cuts manufacturers sometimes take to keep prices down. At this price point, its refreshing to see that SVS chose to go with a three-way design." Read More
The Poor Audiophile - SVS Launches Prime Series Speaker Family: An Array of Speakers From Tower to Satellite
"With effortless performance, elegant design, and striking value, SVS’ Prime Series hits the ultimate sweet spot in the audiophile segment." Read the full review
Prime Series Speakers Receive Digital Trends Editors Choice Award
“Destined to become classics—that's how good they are. I found myself in awe of how transparent these speakers sounded.”
“With effortless performance, elegant design, and striking value, SVS hits the ultimate sweet spot in the audiophile segment."