Ultra Tower - Black Oak - Outlet - 1029
Ultra Tower - Black Oak - Outlet - 1029
Every design element of the SVS Ultra Tower speaker was scrutinized to achieve cost-no-object audio performance and build quality. The flagship SVS loudspeaker features countless design innovations and world-class build materials resulting in reference quality sound and stunning dynamics beyond the reach of speakers costing thousands more.
Whether rendering the warmth of vinyl, the finest details of a hi-res audio recording or the aggressive, hard-hitting soundtrack of an action movie, the Ultra Tower speakers deliver a powerful and convincing audio experience from the highest frequencies to the lowest bass notes. The first time you hear them is like an epiphany that reveals itself over and over with every listening session.
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- Rated bandwidth: 28 Hz-32 kHz (+/-3 dB).
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
- Sensitivity: 88 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz).
- Recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts.
- Floor Standing Tower Loudspeaker
- Real black oak veneer and piano gloss black finish options
- Dual gold-plated 5-way binding posts
- 3.5" wide-flared rear-firing port
- Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system
- Elastomer screw-in feet - adjustable for level
- Spiked metal screw-in feet included - adjustable for level
- Cabinet Dimensions: 45.6” (H) x 13.8” (W) x 16.5” (D) (without grille)
- Overall Dimensions: 45.6” (H) x 13.8” (W) x 16.8” (D) (with grille)
- Shipped Dimensions: 50.3" (H) X 21.3" (W) X 22.3" (D)
- Weight Unboxed: 75.4 pounds
- Shipped Weight: 86 pounds
1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter:
- FEA-optimized diffuser for airy and unveiled presentation
- Aluminum dome delivers exceptional transient response and exceptional stiffness/mass ratio
6.5” Midrange Drivers:
- Composite glass-fiber cone with excellent stiffness/mass ratio for high sensitivity and pistonic behavior beyond pass band
- Aluminum shorting ring to reduce gap inductance, lower distortion, and enhance high frequency response
- Cast aluminum basket to ensure precise alignment of critical components and additional heat-sinking capacity
- Vented voice coil former to minimize air compression artifacts at high drive levels
- Aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion
- Long stroke motor and suspension for high output
- Vented voice coil formers to minimize air compression artifacts at high drive levels
Crossover & Cabinet Specs:
- 3.5-way crossover with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors and heavy-trace printed circuit boards
- Unique tapered midrange array miniimizes off-axis lobing and enhances radiated sound power into listening space
- Top midrange-to-tweeter crossover: 2 kHz
- Bottom midrange taper frequency: 700 Hz
- Dual midrange-to-woofer crossover: 160 Hz
- Separate sealed midrange enclosures minimize top-to-bottom wall dimensions and shift standing waves beyond the driver pass band, minimizing negative driver interaction and associated frequency response degradation
- Non-parallel cabinet panels reduces axial standing waves within the cabinet, reducing frequency response coloration
- Acoustically transparent and FEA optimized grilles, wedge-shaped front baffle and flush-mounted drivers all contribute to reduced edge diffraction and improved on-axis high frequency response
- FEA-optimized bracing, 1" thick midrange/tweeter baffles and 1.5" thick woofer baffles eliminates structural resonances and ensures the cabinet remains acoustically inert for uncolored response even at the highest drive levels
The Ultra Tower speakers are a perfectly tuned acoustic ecosystem. From the drivers to the crossover and cabinet, each component is painstakingly engineered and critically tested to perform in harmony and convey breathtaking sound quality.
Ultra Driver & Tweeter Design
Starting from the bottom up, the Ultra Tower speakers feature a proprietary SVS ForceFactor woofer array with two 8-inch drivers horizontally opposed at the base of the speaker for room-filling low-frequency output. Because of the unique shape of the cabinet, each of the woofers fires in a different direction resulting in deep, effortless and accurate bass throughout the listening area.
Complementing the unique woofer design are the Ultra Tower speaker’s dual 6.5-inch midrange drivers made with composite glass-fiber cones that yield excellent stiffness to mass ratio for enhanced sensitivity and voicing that’s utterly neutral and completely faithful to the source material. With 80% of the sound occurring in the midrange frequencies, the drivers reveal the essence of the Ultra Tower speaker’s timbre. Whether conveying the nuance and impact of instruments, voices, sound effects or anything else, the Ultra midrange drivers are pitch perfect.
Elevating high frequency performance, the Ultra Tower speaker’s aluminum dome tweeter is stunningly transparent and pinpoint accurate. Light, efficient, rigid and impervious to distortion, even at high sound pressure levels, the tweeter’s airy’ presentation of female vocals and effortlessly unveiled highs reveal as much or more than the finest loudspeakers in the world. The FEA-optimized diffuser ensures broad dispersion for an incredibly wide and convincing soundstage with perfect on- and off-axis frequency response so everyone in your room experiences the same pristine clarity and imaging.
Innovative SoundMatch Crossover Design
Since premium drivers require an equally capable crossover, no expense was spared with the intelligent SVS SoundMatch 3.5-way crossover. Its tapered array is designed so only the top midrange driver crosses over to the tweeter, while the bottom midrange is crossed over to the woofers to minimize the potential for beaming. This creates an expansive, yet focused and precise soundstage, with accurate frequency response and imaging at all listening positions in the room. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures pinpoint accuracy from sparkling highs down to subterranean lows, while maintaining pristine signal purity.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design and Geometry
Every feature on the Ultra Tower speaker’s cabinet was designed with a sonic purpose in mind. Tapered edges on the cabinet’s front baffle, known as chamfers, minimize edge diffraction for clear and precise soundstaging. The sweeping side panels of the floorstanding loudspeaker are non-parallel so each of the 8-inch woofers fire in different directions to fill a room with deep, effortless and accurate bass.
Internally, each cabinet employs two separate sealed midrange enclosures to optimize performance and minimize interaction between drivers. Positioning of the tweeter between the two mid-range drivers in separate enclosures, and the unique 3.5-way crossover design make high frequency output highly resistant to ceiling and floor boundary reflections so the Ultra Tower can project a pinpoint accurate portrayal of the near field response, even when a listener is sitting far away.
Meticulous, Innovative Design Process
All SVS speakers, regardless of price or form factor, are crafted in the same painstaking fashion. Call it a marriage of exacting science and a passionate expression of technique and love of great sound.
Before a model is ever constructed, drivers and cabinets are theoretically designed by our acoustic engineers using the most sophisticated computer-aided design (CAD) processes available. Then prototypes are carefully measured and optimized in an anechoic environment to achieve pitch-perfect frequency response. After the ideal theoretical frequency response is attained, exhaustive listening and measurement is done in listening rooms calibrated to closely resemble typical home-like room environments.
The result is a speaker that measures well with near flawless real-world frequency response, but also optimized to sound amazing on a human level through listening tests with real music and cinematic content, in a real world listening environment like your home.
ZDNet Names SVS Ultra Tower “Best Floor-standing Speaker Overall”
“Deep sound that is rich in detail. If you want the very best floor-standing speaker, SVS Ultra Tower Speaker delivers lifelike, full audio. Sound quality fits the luxury tag.”
TechnoDad Reviews the Ultra 5.1.4 Speaker System
"Massive impact and presence, it was just glorious hearing this system perform. Very capable of handling anything with clarity and massive impact when called for. The mids and highs were...
LA Audio File - Kevin Nakano Reviews the Ultra Tower
"The SVS Ultra Towers are certainly one of the best sounding speakers we have heard in the sub-$2000 (per pair) category. The ability to reproduce subtle details, provide a wide...
Widescreen Review, Ultra Tower Surround System
"While I enjoyed the performance of the Ultra system, I’m having a hard time grappling with how a $3700 loudspeaker system (not including subwoofer) could compete with another recent system...
TheDroidGuy Honors SVS Ultra Tower as "Best High-End" Floorstanding Speaker
"The SVS Ultra Tower floorstanding speakers are considered by many to be the best floorstanding speakers with a three-figure price. They deliver deep and highly accurate bass with best-in-class sensitivity...
The Master Switch Reviews the Ultra Tower
Utterly magnificent bass. Fluid and captivating articulation in the mids, with warmth and clarity to voices. Intriguing and captivating design with great stereo imaging. The Ultra Towers are easily among...
TharBamar Reviews the Ultra Tower Loudspeaker
"Bass response is the best I have ever experienced in my system…scale was as big as listening to live concert, very well composed and naturally musical sound, even at 110db...
Hi Res Audio Central - Ron Goldberg Reviews the Ultra Tower
"Hats off to the SVS crew for introducing what may turn out to be a classic loudspeaker model, and making it easy to own…the Ultra Towers are among the best...
TheAbsoluteSound.com - Primer: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2014
"When you listen to $100k systems all day, it’s difficult to be really excited about $1k speakers. But let me tell you, these speakers, when listening in nearfield, are some...
SoundstageGlobal.com - RMAF 2014: Stereo Speakers
"The flagship of the Prime line (shown here next to the larger Ultra Tower) is the Prime Tower, which costs $999/pair in matte black or $1199/pair in gloss black. It's...