A top choice for home theater and audiophile music systems, the SB-4000 subwoofer delivers massive SPLs and extreme low frequency extension that will astonish even the most discerning listeners. A high-excursion 13.5-inch driver unleashes immense sonic energy while maintaining pinpoint control and accuracy from a 1,200 watts RMS, 4,000+ watts peak power amplifier featuring fully discrete MOSFET output and Analog Devices most advanced audio DSP. Precise tuning for the SB-4000 is enabled from a subwoofer DSP smartphone app with custom presets.
Chest-thumping slam and low frequency extension below the threshold of human hearing, with refined musicality – a level of subwoofer performance not seen at this price before. The SB-4000 subwoofer’s sophisticated DSP amplifier, innovative driver and a sealed box design master room gain and command a space with deeper bass and higher output levels than what is typically possible from a subwoofer of its size. An ideal option for reference quality bass in audiophile music or home theater systems, the SB-4000 sets all performance benchmarks for a subwoofer and leaves larger and more expensive subs trembling in its wake.
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- 19-310Hz ± 3 dB
- Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain
- 2-meter ground plane away from reflective structures (quasi-anechoic).
- Premium Black Ash and Piano Gloss Black finish options
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- Front-firing 13.5" driver
- Rear-mounted amplifier
- Screw-in rubber feet
- Robust Medium Density Fiberboard(MDF) cabinet construction
- Cabinet Dimensions (without grille): 18.3” (465mm) H X 17.8” (453mm) W X 18.6” (471.3mm) D
- Cabinet Dimensions (with grille): 18.3” (465mm) H X 17.8” (453mm) W X 20.9” (530mm) D
- Shipped Dimensions: 23.5” (598mm) H X 23.5” (598mm) W X 28” (712mm) D
- Weight (unboxed): 102.3 lbs. (46.4 kg)
- Shipped Weight: 117.8lbs (53.45kg)
- High-performance SVS 4000 Series Subwoofer Driver - optimized for sealed cabinet design.
- Proprietary 13.5” Driver with finely tuned Overhung Motor Configuration
- 43lb (19.5kg) pound Woofer with 37.7lb (17.1kg) pounds for the motor
- Overhung 52mm Xmax, 76.2mm Xmech precision aligned excursion
- 8-layer aluminum flat wire edge wound 3” voice coil for ultra-low distortion, efficient heat dissipation, exceptional linearity and nearly zero power compression.
- Two massive, dedicated toroidal ferrite magnets generate unparalleled levels of magnetic force to drive the highest levels of excursion, SPL, and start/go power for the deepest and most authoritative bass possible.
- All-new High density FEA-optimized cast aluminum basket provides unequaled levels of rigidity, tensile strength, and energy transference available from a subwoofer.
- Dual 24-strand copper and Nomex composite high-temperature leads woven through the suspension provide a pristine electrical connection from the amplifier to the voice coil.
- Premium glass fiber laminated dustcap and reinforced and vented paper-composite cone sub-structure ensure a light, rigid, and neutral radiating surface.
- Precision machined motor elements and narrow tolerance suspension parts produce unmatched linearity at full excursion for exceptionally tight and fast output, even at reference volumes.
- Extreme oversized low carbon vented steel U-yoke and top plate provide superior cooling and improved magnetics for maximum performance and efficiency.
- Copper ring shorting sleeve reduces gap induction and distortion, enhances thermal conductivity
- Nickel-plated high-tension spring terminals
- Proprietary injection molded gasket and parabolic SBR extreme-excursion surround maintains ideal pistonic motion for pinpoint accuracy and control
- Low carbon 1008 steel components with black electrophoresis plating
- Massively powerful Sledge 1,200-watt continuous Class D design with 4,000+ watts of Peak Power.
- Unmatched intelligence from user adjustable low pass, phase, polarity and room gain compensation with three parametric EQs and port tuning (Ported models only) for absolute best alignment with speakers and optimized performance in any room.
- Groundbreaking SVS Bluetooth DSP control app for iOS and Android devices with three user presets allow custom tuning for every room and system.
- High efficiency cool-running Class D switching topology with massive 32 Amp 600 Volt MOSFET’s result in lower EMI and highest efficiency while providing effortless power to produce SPLs and low frequency output with pristine clarity well beyond reference listening levels.
- High resolution 50MHz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction.
- 100v-240v full range input active Power Factor Correction (PFC) pre-regulates mains to solid 360V DC regardless of mains voltage or quality so the sound quality never falters no matter what’s coming out of the wall
- Active PFC lowers average current and smooths mains input current allowing for 1200W output from a standard 15A mains circuit.
- XLR and RCA stereo input/output with ultra-wide input voltage for consumer and professional audio applications.
- Convenient front-mounted display featuring new Intelligent Feature Control (IFC) with bright blue dimmable/defeatable 8-digit LED front display.
- Custom EQ and DSP limiter settings tuned specifically for the SB-4000 sealed cabinet design.
- Auto/On and 3-12V AC/DC trigger for Maximum Installation Convenience.
- Input impedance 22kohm (unbalanced RCA)/ 22kohm (balanced XLR).
- Green 0.5-watt low standby power consumption
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction, world-wide safety certifications
SVS App Specs:
- The most powerful and flexible Bluetooth controlled subwoofer DSP app, works with both iOS and Android operating systems.
- Easiest and most convenient way to adjust crossover frequencies, parametric EQ, polarity, room gain and all other bass management functions.
- Three convenient custom presets allow for perfect tuning in any room or system, from your favorite seat.
- Single tap adjustment for controlling variable port tuning with standard, extended and sealed modes.
- Unique bidirectional feedback shows adjustments in real time on both app and subwoofer interface.
- Easy-to-follow tutorial provides clear guidance for all functions.
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grill
- IR remote control
- Elastomer feet included
- Extra heavy-duty, high current 6' power cord
- Quick Start Guide
Unparalleled Low Frequency Depth, Power and Detail
The SVS SB-4000 powered subwoofer demolishes all preconceived notions about subwoofer performance and technology by taking command of any room with deep, effortless bass and adding visceral energy to every listening experience. With trickle down technology from the 16-Ultra Series, named top subwoofers in the world by nearly every audio publication and industry group in 2017, the SB-4000 obliterates expectations and delivers a level of unrivaled subwoofer performance only available from SVS.
High-Excursion SVS Driver – Legendary SVS Output and Control
The SB-4000 subwoofer delivers on the full potential of the Sledge STA-1200D amplifier’s power with precision and control to produce room energizing SPLs and effortless low frequency extension with pinpoint accuracy at all drive levels.
- Dual ferrite magnet motor assembly weighing nearly 40lbs generates immense magnetic force and excursion of the 13.5-inch driver to produce massive low frequency output well below the limits of human hearing.
- Edge wound voice coil with eight-layer aluminum flat wire minimizes distortion and power compression while providing excellent heat dissipation and linearity ensuring precise control.
- Lightweight and rigid composite cone with premium glass fiber dustcap generate massive output with pinpoint accurate frequency response.
- Proprietary injection molded gasket and long-throw parabolic surround ensure longevity and allow extreme excursion and SPLs.
Sledge Amplifier – Massive Output, Sophisticated DSP, Advanced Power Management
Rated conservatively at 1,200 watts RMS, and 4,000+ watts peak power, the SB-4000 Sledge STA-1200D amplifier uses an efficient Class D design combined with fully discrete MOSFET output and a sophisticated Analog Devices DSP engine. The result is a level of effortless power and advanced processing not available from any other powered subwoofer manufacturer.
High Current Output of Fully Discrete MOSFETs with Efficiency of Class D Amplifier
Efficiency of a Class D amplifier with the ability to move massive amounts of current through the fully discrete MOSFETs enabling immense output and precise control for outstanding real-world subwoofer performance at all drive levels.
Sophisticated 50MHz High Resolution Analog Devices Audio DSP
Most advanced digital processor ever used in a subwoofer maintains pinpoint accuracy and pristine sound quality through advanced in-room tuning, optimized frequency response curves, powerful DSP controls and more.
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) & Ground Loop Isolation
Serves as a line conditioner, surge suppressor and voltage regulator letting the amplifier deal with wide voltage fluctuations and ensuring the subwoofers operate flawlessly on any household circuit no matter how unstable the incoming current. An isolated circuit creates a vanishingly low noise floor by eliminating the potential for ground loop hums from outside components resulting in absolute sonic transparency.
SB-4000 Smartphone App – Easiest Way Ever to Manage Subwoofer DSP and Control
Groundbreaking smartphone app works with Apple iOS® and Android® devices to unleash the full depth, force and nuance of the SB-4000 powered subwoofer by controlling all DSP functions including: volume, parametric EQ, low pass filter, phase, polarity, room gain, port tuning, custom presets and system settings.
- Connects via Bluetooth for convenient control even when subwoofer is out of sight.
- 3-band parametric EQ controller allows precise adjustments for frequency slope and Q factor down to the single Hz level with four different slopes, so users can improve performance by eliminating peaks, nulls and other room issues.
- Stores 3 custom presets for movies, music and other listening experiences such as sports or gaming.
- 2-way feedback shows updates in real time on both the app and subwoofer interface
Acoustically Inert and Rigidly Braced Sealed Box Cabinet Design
Inlaid front panel display, rounded edges and a curved metal grille on the sealed box SB-4000 cabinet give it a refined yet commanding look that blends visually with home theaters and high-end audio systems. It’s sealed cabinet design results in tighter, more musical bass and make it significantly more compact than ported box subwoofers with similar specs.
- Double thick 2-inch MDF front baffle and rigid internal bracing to support the massive drive unit and to ensure an acoustically inert environment.
- Highly reinforced internal design and acoustic insulation eliminates all coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference volume.
- Protective, non-resonant steel mesh grille and custom elastomer feet for reducing noise artifacts within a room.
FutureAudiophile reviews SB-4000 Subwoofer
“One of the best performers as well as a stunningly good value. I am not sure that there is a much better sounding option at any price. If you want...
Home Theater Review Names SB-4000 “Best 12-inch Subwoofer”
“13.5" of Pure SVS Sealed Subwoofer Power and Precision. OK, we admit this subwoofer is something a bit beyond a 12". SVS lists it as a 13.5-incher. But the reason...
Subwoofer Mania Reviews SB-4000 Subwoofer
"Reproduces extremely convincing bass: deep and clear, energetic in movies, and natural in music. Looking at the capabilities and design of the SVS SB 4000, its price no longer seems...
HomeTheaterReview.com Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
“Provided a solid, deep bass foundation with both music and movies…Shook and rattled my room with ease, a great multi-purpose subwoofer that balances brawn with finesse. The Goldilocks of subwoofers,...
AVReport.ru Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer (Russia)
"Brutal, but beautiful in its own way. Deep, smooth and superbly fast bass. Potent, clear and energetic with movies and pristinely natural with music. Output from the SB-4000 is so...
4000 Series Subwoofers Receive HCReview's Reference Award (French)
"Delivers linear bass with impressive pressure levels, while managing to maintain extremely low distortion rates. Visceral, agile and powerful performance. A nice tour de force!"
Positive Feedback Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"Fast, tuneful bass, huge amounts of slam and infrasonic bass extension. A welcome dollop of gut level satisfaction. The subwoofer delivered high quality, high end sound that was right at...
SB-4000 Receives AVS Forum Top Picks 2018 Award
“TOTALLY pressurized my theater. With movies, I felt the power of explosions in my heart and head! Like I was getting hit with a sledgehammer in the chest! These subs...
SB-4000 Subwoofer Receives Stereoplay’s Highlight 2018 Award (Germany).
"Galactic good. Blended seamlessly with multiple speakers and it showed sovereignty in all aspects. Deep bass notes were crisp and clean with no overhang. Its high dynamic reserves gave the...
HXOS+ SoundVision (Greece) Review the SB-4000 Subwoofer
“The SB-4000 is a "scary" subwoofer full of energy. From the very first Hz onward, mainly felt in the chest and your belly, to the last ones around the cut-off...
HomeCinemaMagazine.nl (Netherlands) Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"With the SB-4000 you get a subwoofer that is immensely powerful and dives very deeply - and that also works smoothly in large spaces. It is also incredibly fast, so...
SB-4000 Subwoofer Receives the EISA Best Product Award for Home Theater Subwoofers
"The SB-4000 is in a class of its own. This breathtaking subwoofer is capable of unleashing pure dynamics even with the very lowest subsonic frequencies and pinpoint LFE precision from...
SB-4000 Subwoofer Receives Audio Magazine's "Recommended Product" Award (Germany)
"Extended deep bass in the room with audiophile precision. The SVS SB-4000 executed the perfect bass storm – with power and yet easiness."
High Def Digest Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"An exceptional subwoofer capable of producing incredibly clean and powerful bass. The SB-4000 can really bring the thunder…slammed me with impressive impact…just about shook the walls of my house apart...
SB-4000 and PB-4000 Subwoofers Receive Heimkino's Reference Class Award
"The SB-4000 subwoofer convinces with a crisp, precise reproduction of lowest frequencies. For the ultimate pressure in the diaphragm, the PB-4000 is particularly suitable, because it provides even greater dynamic...
Reference Home Theater Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"The SB-4000 does exactly what I want in a sub: make my speakers sound like they play down to 20Hz without any effort or strain by completely disappearing. It offers...
SB-4000 Subwoofer Receives Audio & Vision Online's Excellent Product Award
"The lowest octaves are rendered with incredible detail and power. From a relatively small cabinet, it produces more than enough output for a big home theater and its tight and...
MissingRemote.com Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"Bass reproduction is effortless. Impressing with its power, and nuance. Energy you can feel fills the room. Response is instantaneous, tight, and controlled but never overpowering. The build quality is...
SB-4000 Subwoofer Receives the Home Cinema Choice Best Buy Award
"Genuinely subsonic, and its room-loading capabilities prove outstanding. Impossible to unsettle. Textbook definition of great home cinema bass; deep, clean and fast, and easily integrated with your speaker system. A...
Video Magazine (Germany) Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"Outstanding value, unmatched sound quality, unique features and deep, full and clear bass, all controllable via a smartphone app and remote. The combination of maximum technical features and audio performance...
CNET Reviews the SB-4000 Subwoofer
"The SB-4000's bass was deep and powerful, bass transients were quick, and there was no thickening or bloat. Impact and dynamics were visceral. It enlarged the soundstage. A reference-grade subwoofer...
SVS owner shots shared via Instagram. Click on pics for captions and submit your own by tagging @SVS_Sound or #soundrevolution.
You May Also Like...
Sound Experts Articles
6 Room-Shaking Subwoofer & Speaker Demos from the 2020s
Why 3-Way Center Channel Speakers Reign Supreme for Surround Sound
Why Subwoofers are the Best Home Theater Upgrade
- bass notes
- customer service
- theater room
Awesome Once dialed in they are amazing
SB 4000 - a great sub
Love the deep, solid, clear base. Sturdy construction. Well packaged for drop ship to my house. Actually my second SB 4000. Sold previous house and left previous SB4000 with it. Smart product choice to support Blue tooth/phone app control for set up. If I used it, the front panel buttons / controls in the front are much better than dials and switches in the back. I'm using LFE connection connected to Marantz 7013. Sub base blends perfectly with my LCR speakers after Audyssey tuning. I only wish you had descriptions in your manual about 'power on' option..... "Auto" is not described for example. what triggers it? audio signal from LFE? how long before speaker shuts off when in auto mode? I would rather not hook up '12v trigger' if auto mode handles it. I'm not sure the unit shuts off on auto since the LED front panel stays lit.
Best Subwoofer Bang for the Buck
Replaced older (22 yo) Velodyne dual 15 inch subs with 2 SVS SB4000s after days of online research. From the excellent packaging during shipment to the ease of setup esp with the SVS bluetooth phone app and the placement of the dimmable front panel display in the sub for easy reading, the initial setup was simple. I renamed the 2 subs FRONT and REAR w/ the phone app. Level calibration was easy using the quick measurement of Anthem ARC Genesis DSP. An alternative would be to use a tone generator and SLP--sound level pressure meter -and set each sub to 72 dB individually or 75 dB or so combined. Here is a tip I learned from customer service: ( to boost level by 3 dB) if your AV Preamp has individual sub outputs e.g. sub1 sub2, then add a Y RCA stereo adapter cable to the Right and Left Line Level Inputs on the back of the SVS sub. For my REAR sub I used an XLR balanced cable from SVS to minimize interfering noise as it is 30 feet away. Finally, the SOUND evaluation. I am primarily a movie watcher. The blend with my Dunlavy SC-IVs and HRCC center was seemless. Crossover 80Hz. The bass and deep bass notes in several movies were both heard and felt. I am extremely pleased so far with my SVS SB4000s----both from an excellent product and customer service---a thanks to ED Mullen for help in answering questions on sub selection for my specific theater room but also in the setup with my Anthem AVM90 Preamp and ARC Genesis!!!!!!
After a long wait finally my sb4000 arrive, very excited at first time. But at first month not work good for me, the sound far from what i expected. Low volume, poor bass, not blend with my towers. I did measurement with REW+UMIK, i got "almost" flat in my room, but i not happy with it. In fact i almost sell this subwoofer (i'm glad i don't do this). What's wrong? because i try to make the graph flat that is my mistake (doing eq down the peaks frequency). Refer to the words from Ed Mullen (Senior Director SVS, thank you) "peaks/nulls are normal", i doing the opposite way with the eq, i let the peaks and eq up the nulls. is it flat ? no. But guess what? it makes the subwoofer from zero to hero. yes the winner!! Now my sb4000 sound beyond what i expected, very powerfull but dissapear in my room and blend with my towers, even with my high sensitivity tower speakers (klipsch rf7iii), easily play around 110-115db. Now i can clearly hear bass at low volume even with poor quality recording cd's (mostly rock/metal genre from 90's). Yes now i'm very happy with my sb4000, big smile on my face, enjoy every single track music with new experience. A single sb4000 is more than enough at my room. My room are 5.2 m x 4.2 m, mostly run with -11db volume on subwoofer, signal 2 volt from my preamp with XLR cable. Thank you so much for all svs member for making this subwoofer at competitive price, you are doing very good job.
Expected more for the price.
This subwoofer exceeds at sub bass and works great for music however for watching movies It felt for me that midbass is lacking, the filters didn't helped much. I expected way more jumping from a pair of budget subwoofers that cost 1/8 of this one each. It didnt really pair well with focal aria 906 bookshelf speakers and it felt like mid tones, high tones, sub bass and there was an empty hole in the mid bass region from 80hz to around 40hz. When I hooked it with my old subwoofer it was amazing but I expected it to exceed at all bass frequency rather than only sub bass. I two rooms, three amplifiers and three pairs of speakers which were focal arias 906, audiovector qr1, tannoy xt8f. Bass fixed itself after I changed fronts at tannoys to big and changed their crossover to 40hz but again I expected that subwoofer will take care of that range...
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback on the SB-4000. Based on your comments, this sounds like a room acoustics issue where there is a standing wave cancellation null in the 40-80 Hz octave. These room cancellation nulls are very common, and we can assist you in optimizing the system by experimenting with subwoofer placement, phasing your dual subs and the digital bass management settings (speaker size/crossover). I'm confident we can get the SB-4000 performing to its full potential and full-in that room acoustics null. We're happy to do a deeper dive, so please contact our team of sound experts by clicking the Support widget on any website page to chat, email, call or even set-up a video consultation. Ed M - SVS