Tips on Choosing the Best Subwoofer for Your Home Theater
With such a wide range of subwoofer choices in the SVS line-up, choosing the best model subwoofer for your home theater can be daunting. In this article, we take the guesswork out of the process to help you find the perfect match!
Discussed below are some variables which can influence the selection process, followed by some model recommendations for common audio & home theater system applications.
Décor and Room Integration
Successful room and décor integration is a high priority for many enthusiasts. Below are a few common issues to consider.
- Overall Size/Footprint: A subwoofer needs to fit into the allocated location without protruding into the room or affecting normal traffic patterns. For planning purposes, use the ‘real world’ footprint of the subwoofer, which includes the grille and some extra space for the power cord and signal cable. In locations where floor space is tight, consider our sealed box and ported cylinder models.
- Finish Options: SVS offers several finish options to complement your loudspeakers and other AV components. Piano gloss is gorgeous and perfect for upscale decors. Consider durable black ash/oak for high-traffic areas with kids and pets or to match a classic wood look. In dedicated home theaters where the lights are dimmed, lower reflectivity finishes will help minimize light glare.
Listening Room Size and Playback Level
Room size and layout has a major influence on subwoofer the performance of your subwoofer for home theater. Large rooms with open floor plans and vaulted ceilings will require a more powerful subwoofer in order to deliver excellent performance.
In addition to room size, the system playback level also has a significant influence. If you like to push the system to loud levels (like an IMAX theater) and want to ‘feel the bass’ on demanding action and sci-fi movies, consider our more powerful extreme performance models. Conversely, if you listen at more moderate levels, a less powerful subwoofer for home theater model can deliver a no-compromise experience, and will also be easy to integrate in your room.
Recommended Models – Common System Applications
Below are some subwoofer model recommendations for common system applications. While these recommendations are a good starting point, contact SVS Customer Service for an expert consultation and comprehensive system evaluation to make sure you are choosing the best model.
- PC-Based Audio System: Usually situated in an office or den, the diminutive SB-1000 is a natural choice for a PC-based audio system, and can fit almost anywhere in the room, even behind the PC monitor or under a work desk.
- Secondary Media System - Bedroom: This increasingly common application typically involves a wall-mounted HDTV, some type of media streaming device, and a sound bar or small satellite speakers. Consider the SB-1000 or SB-2000 Pro for a great combination of sound quality, performance and compact size.
- Primary Media System – Living/Family Room: This popular application lends itself to the widest possible range of subwoofer models, depending on the room size, playback level and décor integration. The SB-2000 Pro, SB-4000, PC-2000 Pro and PB-2000 Pro are all excellent choices in this category.
Dedicated Subwoofer for Home Theater System: In this application, demanding action and sci-fi movies are typically played at IMAX theater levels. Maximum performance and high output (particularly at the deepest frequencies) is a top priority.
This is where the SVS big guns come into their own, delivering an exciting and immersive experience on movie night. Depending on the room size, the following models are all excellent choices: PC-2000 Pro or PB-2000 Pro, PC-3000 or PB-3000, SB-4000, PC-4000 or PB-4000, SB16-Ultra or PB16-Ultra. The ported cylinder models offer essentially the same performance as their ported box counterparts, but with a smaller footprint, and are a great choice where floor space is tight.
2-Channel Music System: Our sealed box subwoofers are a natural choice for critical music applications, and will deliver that tight, fast, detailed and articulate bass which music lovers crave.
Depending on the room size and playback level, the SB-1000, SB-2000 Pro and SB-4000 will all deliver a fantastic music experience. For the ultimate in 2-channel bass, consider dual subs for true stereo bass and a more balanced soundstage.
Browse SVS Subwoofers by Series
Changed the game by bringing world-class performance to a new level of affordability. The 1000 Series feature high-excursion 12-inch (SB-1000) and 10-inch (PB-1000) drivers and 300 watts RMS, 700+ watts peak power amplifier with advanced DSP tuning.View 1000 Series
2000 Pro Series
Complete reimagining of the most popular SVS subwoofer models of all-time. The 2000 Pro Series feature 12-inch high-excursion driver and 550 watts RMS, 1,500+ watts peak power amplifier with advanced DSP tuning and smartphone app control.View 2000 Pro Series
Reference performance hits new lows. The 3000 Series feature 13-inch high-excursion driver with 800 watts RMS, 2,500+ watts peak power amplifier with fully discrete MOSFET output and SVS smartphone app for convenient DSP and control.View 3000 Series
Reference quality bass, groundbreaking SVS value. The 4000 Series feature 13.5-inch high-excursion driver, 1,200 watts RMS, 4,000+ watts peak power amplifier with fully discrete MOSFET output and SVS smartphone app for convenient DSP and control.View 4000 Series
The ultimate reference standard for bass. The 16-Ultra Series feature a 16-inch high-excursion driver with 8-inch voice coil, 1,500 watts RMS, 5,000+ watts peak power amplifier with fully discrete MOSFET output and SVS smartphone app for convenient DSP and control.View 16-Ultra Series
Audio System Setup Articles
Share Your Thoughts